Home  |  Hours  |  Contact Us

Energy Assistance Program

The Energy Assistance Program provides assistance in helping eligible low-income individuals and families in paying their heating bills who reside in Bethel, Bridgewater, Brookfield, Canaan, Cornwall, Danbury, Kent, New Fairfield, New Milford, North Canaan, Redding, Ridgefield, Roxbury, Salisbury, Sharon, Sherman, Warren, and Washington. One application covers all programs.
There are several programs for which you may be eligible.
• Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)
• Contingency Heating Assistance Program (CHAP)
• Weatherization Program/Conservation Program
• CEAP Furnace Repair Program
• Elderly Fuel


  • CEAP is designed to help eligible households pay part of their winter heating bills.  Assistance is only available to defray the cost of the main or primary source of heat because benefits are limited and it will not cover the cost of the full winter’s heating bills. Eligibility is based on household size, income and liquid assets. CEAP assistance is also available if your heating costs are included in your rent. Households must meet the CEAP income guidelines. The annual rent must also exceed 30% of the annual income to receive a one-time payment
  • The CHAP program is available to households whose income exceeds the federal poverty guidelines that determine CEAP eligibility yet falls below 60% of the CT state median income. CHAP benefits
  • The Weatherization, Furnace Repair and Conservation programs are all intended at improving the efficiency of heat sources within the dwelling, thus reducing heating bills, and are available to CEAP eligible single family home owners. Weatherization includes the implementation of infiltration control measures and the installation of sidewall and ceiling insulation. Repair or replacement of an unsafe or inoperable heating system may be an option. Conservation Services are available to CEAP/CHAP households and are subject to the availability of funds.


• Call your local office in the town in which you live and make an appointment; all office locations, addresses and telephone numbers can be found HERE (make this a link to service delivery area)
•Provide necessary documentation with you when you come to the office for your appointment in order for your application to be completed you will need:
 Photo ID
 Social Security Cards for ALL Household Members
 Utility bill (CL&P and Yankee Gas)
 Verification of ALL sources of income for last 4 weeks prior to date of application

  • *Employment (GROSS AMOUNT) – Last 4 weekly paystubs/ or 2 if paid biweekly
  • *Child Support – Copy of court order, divorce decree or signed agreement
  • Pension/Retirement (GROSS AMOUNT)–Letter stating annual income,
  • Rental Income – Copy of lease or rental agreement
  • Self Employment Notarized form covering prior FULL 6 or 12 calendar months, PLUS COMPLETE current income Tax Return (Personal/and or Business)
  • Social Security Benefits – Proof includes direct deposit, letter from Social Security or copy of check
  • *Unemployment Compensation (GROSS AMOUNT) – Print out from DOL
  • Veteran’s Benefits (GROSS AMOUNT)– Proof includes letter from VA
  • *Workman’s Compensation (GROSS AMOUNT) – Proof includes direct deposit or letter stating weekly income
  • *TANF- Letter from DSS case worker/food stamp card
  • *Interest- Verification on bank statement if more than $10/mo.

 *Bank Statements – Current Complete statements (last 30 days) including bank name/logo
  Heat included in rent – Copy of lease or letter from landlord (including his/her name, address and phone number) stating heat is included in rent, and amount paid
 Verification of Rent/Mortgage – Lease/ rent receipt or mortgage statement

If ALL information is not submitted at time of application, application will be DENIED!!
You will have 10 days to submit missing documents
Please note: All documents (i.e. Social Security cards) must be brought back each year, as we don’t keep record of it

•If you have any questions about the documentation you need to bring or have other questions about the program, please call 203-744-4700.

CACD welcomes contributions to its CEAP program in order to enable it to help people who are cold and cannot pay their heating bills.  Please send your donations to:

   CACD CEAP Program
Resource Development Manager
66 North Street, Danbury, CT 06810
Donation may be made on our website by clicking DONATE